Ask a Dentist   »  

Getting white film after brushing teeth. Using sensodyne. No pain or bleeding. Normal?

I get a clear white film after brushing my teeth. It's almost like skin peeling off but it's not. I recently started using sensodine but I used to get it every now and then prior to switching. This only happens sometimes not always and it's usually like thirty minutes after brushing my teeth. There's no pain or bleeding or anything bad. It doesn't smell bad. I have never had problems with my breath so I don't know what it is. Is this normal? I've heard some people get it also.

The film is at my cheek area and my inner lip area. I hope I made sense
Posted Tue, 2 Jul 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Omer 1 hour later

I am Dr.Omer and I am here to help you with your query.

Based on the description of your symptoms it seems like you are having a transparent XXXXXXX film" after brushing , meaning MUCOSAL EROSIONS.

Mucosal erosions are normal process in our human body to shed away dead tissue.

For example , skin shed billion of cells in a day , hairs sheds are from 1000-5000 per week , all these tissues are dead.

When we do brushing with strong tooth paste like sensodyne , listerine which contains alcohol in it , causing complete removal of sheath of dead tissue , which you called as "film".

This process can occur during eating , drinking water, hot tea/coffee , any time , since the sheath is so soft it sometimes folds into different shapes.

Tongue/tooth also sheds , but are so small , that we don't recognize it , swallow it or cleaned out during brushing.

Cheek and lips inner mucosa are the softest in the mouth and are easily removable

In the end I would say NOTHING TO WORRY about , as it is completely normal , and don't forget to brush your teeth especially at night + flossing , and use a soft tooth paste with soft brushing , as soft brushing is much better than hard brushing.

I just have one question , Does your mouth keeps dry all day , meaning less saliva? , if not , nothing to worry about.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Take care,
Follow-up: Getting white film after brushing teeth. Using sensodyne. No pain or bleeding. Normal? 4 hours later
Hello. Thank you for responding. I'm glad you cleared this up for me.

To answer you question, my mouth is not often dry. Why?

One other question. I've mentioned on that I grind my teeth at night and sometimes during the day. I was told to go see an orthodontist. I really cannot afford that right now so I was wondering if there was anything I could do to stop me from grinding my teeth like chewing gum or something? Will chewing gum (sugar free) be a good alternative or is that just as bad as grinding my teeth?
Answered by Dr. Omer 15 hours later
Hello Again

So your mouth doesnt remain dry , its a GOOD news , as dry mouth + mucosal erosion can lead to a mild autoimmune disease ( sjogrens)

Teeth grinding is a common problem in chilhood and teenagers and is known as BRUXISM

Most commonly BRUXISM has a background history of anxiety , that started in child hood

Bruxism or teeth grinding , mostly occurs at night than at day , though the patient is aware of it , still continues

The other common risk facort to bruxism is mal-positioned molar teeth or forward lower jaw than above.

ALcohol , tea , coffee should be avoided

Chewing a bubble gum may or may not be helpful , in my opinion it causes more bruxism , because relaxing your mandibular muscles ( muscles just ahead of your ear lobes) will cause less bruxism

Warming mundibular muscles before sleep with warm water dipped cloath

Anxiety relieveing exercises like deep breathing , yoga before sleep can help decrease it

If clearly anxiety problems are there , you need a psyhiatric counselling

I hope i was helpful

Your feedback is important for US

TAke care

Follow-up: Getting white film after brushing teeth. Using sensodyne. No pain or bleeding. Normal? 8 hours later
I will try the warm damp cloth thing. Thank you again.
Answered by Dr. Omer 6 hours later
Hello again

Thankyou for understanding

Yes , warm cloth application will help you resolve your problem + the other things I told you in my last reply.

Hope I was helpful to you

If satisfied with the answers , kindly write a review , obliged

Stay happy and healthy