Getting taste of blood in mouth. Small amount of blood in spittle. Diagnosed with gum disease. Smokes and drinks often

I wake up most mornings with a taste of blood in my mouth. This occasionally happens during the day as well. Sometimes I spit up a small amount of blood in my spittle, but nothing terribly significant. I have recently been diagnosed with gum disease & will begin treatment soon. Is this likely the cause or should I be concerned? Fyi: I'm a 25 yr old male who has been a smoker for 5 years and I regularly drink alcohol.
Posted Wed, 22 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later
Hello Covie,

Bleeding from the gums can be due to:
1. Gum disease as diagnosed by your treating physician.
2. It can also be a symptom of underlying liver disease.
In your post, you have mentioned about your regular drinking habit.
So, presence of an alcoholic liver disease can be suspected.

If the symptom is due to Gum disease, it will be resolved as you start the treatment for it.
However, if symptoms still persist or aggravate, then it will be better to get certain investigations done like Liver function tests & Ultrasound scan of abdomen to rule out any Liver pathology.

Wishing you a good health.
Please let me know if I need to clarify further.
Thanks & take care.