Getting stressed and developed blister on inner thigh. Could it be shingles?

Ive been really stressed lately at work and I recently developed blister like bumps on my inner thigh. I think its shingles but not sure??
Posted Mon, 18 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Shingles (Herpes zoster) is a skin rash caused due to re-activation of the varicella zoster (chicken pox) virus. A weakening of the immune system due to stress, injury, other illnesses, etc. can trigger this re-activation of the virus and thereby cause Shingles.

From the description of your rash, it is quite possible that it could be Shingles. Here are a few specific features which may indicate that this could be Shingles:
- the blisters appears are confined to a localized area - usually a band or a strip like area (called a "dermatome")
- blisters are clustered in small groups
- they are usually quite painful
- the appearance of blisters may be preceeded by a fever, flu-like symptoms or localized tingling or burning in the area.

I would advise that you get yourself examined by a doctor in order to confirm the diagnosis. If it is Shingles, then anti-virals and other medication can help reduce the intensity / severity of the disease and provide symptomatic relief also.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
Follow-up: Getting stressed and developed blister on inner thigh. Could it be shingles? 8 hours later
I am going to make an appt at a dermatologist.

Thanks. I will follow up after vist
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 12 hours later
Yes, that's the right thing to do.
Take care...

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar