Getting sharp pain in lower abdomen before and after urinating. What is causing this and cure?

Hi, I'm a 26 year old female. I am getting a very sharp, stabbing pain in my
lower right abdomen just before and after urinating. No discomfort at any other
time. I started a juice fast two days ago and have been having headaches,
fatigue and alternating between very hot / sweating and cold / shivering - I am
unsure whether these symptoms are the result of the change in diet or an
illness. I do have a small ovarian cyst on my right ovary - could this be the
cause of the pain? I also wondered if it was a UTI as I have had UTIs before,
but there is no burning / frequent need to urinate - just a stabbing pain before and after relieving myself. My bowel movements have also been less frequent since commencing the fast - could this be causing the pain before urinating? Thank you in advance for any
Posted Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 1 hour later

Causes of pain in right lower abdomen are kidney stone, appendicitis, colitis, ovarian cysts,ovarian torsion, ectopic pregnancy etc.

In view of symptoms like stabbing pain in lower right abdomen just before and after urinating, possibility of kidney stone stuck at lower ureter seems quiet likely.

Possibility of ovarian cyst causing pain is also likely , though comparatively it seems less likely.As it would have more of continuous pain and not much related to urination.

Ideal next step would be to get a sonography done, this will evaluate most of the cause of pain in this region.

Mean while you can take analgesic to relieve pain.

Hope this answers your question.Please feel free to ask if there are doubts.