Getting severe back pain. How to diagnose my problem?

Spine Surgeon
i've been gettin most unusual (very sore/painful) back pain. Top part directtly oppoite my mid chest. it started about a week ago. start in the afternoon & goes away when I go to sleep. what do you think?
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 1 hour later

Most common reason for back pain is muscle sprain. However, disc or nerve related pain need to be ruled out.

Was there injury to back? Please describe the pain in detail. Does it radiate in a band pattern along the chest? Any burning sensations? what aggravates the pain and what relieves? Any other medical problem... diabetes? Taking any medicines?

Please get back with above information. It would help me in suggesting you specifically.

Follow-up: Getting severe back pain. How to diagnose my problem? 54 minutes later
No there wasn't an injury. The pain is a sharp, piercing pain very localised in the middle upper part of the back directly opposite my chest. I can sometimes feel the piercing pushing in the centre of my chest, just under the end of my front rib cage. the back pain is really unbearable whene it occurs & I have to wriggle move to reduce it. Only sleep seems to make it go away. No, I'm not diabetes, and I'm not on any medication.
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 4 hours later
Thanks for the information. I doubt if the pain coming from the spine? Any stomach issues. Is it related to meals? I would suggest to be examined by a spine specialist and physician to make sure no issues with stomach and esophagus. Thanks.