Getting red bumps and itching. Had a spider bite and blisters inside leg. Will it cause scabies?

Diabetologist
Question
Hi! Dr. Grief, I have been to a dermatologist a few months ago because I can not stop itching. I get red bumps, I scratch, it is gross - then have a whole and then it scabs up. It started up at my neck in the hair line. Could not stop itching after we came home from a vacation. I also, had a spider bite that blistered up to the size of a nickel on inside of my leg. That has not completely healed and looks like a scab. Dermatoligist sent me away feeling like I am imagine this. I have since done my own research. I think I have scabies.
I have these bumps which I have itched, on my hip, inside of my calf, on my shoulders, one sore just below the knee, have some on my forhead, side of my face, and neck.
A lake that we visited has had problems with duck itch or swimmers itch - I had thought it might be this but Dermatologist said duck itch would not last more than a week.

Posted Thu, 14 Nov 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Spider bite does not cause scabies.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query.

You have skin lesions at different sites.

Spider bite is likely to cause local inflammation and itching. It reduces in intensity gradually as the effect of the bite wears off.

Secondly Scabies is caused by itch mite and mainly present in web spaces, skin folds and body creases where the moisture is high due to sweating. It presents with severing itch especially at night, red induration and secondary bacterial infection like pustule at the site.

If that is the case then apply Permethrin 5% cream below the neck to the whole body. Take a bath after a day. All affected members in the household should take the treatment at the same time.
Maintain good personal hygiene. Wash all your clothes and bedding in hot water to kill the mite.

Hope the answer helps you.