Getting pulling sensations of nerve in legs. What could be the reason?

Hi Doctor,
I used to get nerve pulling in my legs at times in night. In the past one week, i have got nerve pulling in my right leg for about 4 times.What is the reason for this? Should i change my diet? How can i prevent this?
Posted Wed, 5 Dec 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

These kind of pulling sensations can often be due to vitamin deficiencies especially, deficiency of vitamins B and C or even due to anaemia (low hemoglobin level). Sometimes certain medical problems like blood sugar can also cause such pulling or tingling of the nerves. Rarely, such pain may be due to muscle cramps in the calf muscles, which in turn could be a result of salt or calcium imbalance in the body.

I would suggest that you modify your diet in such a way to:-
- include more of vegetables and fruits, especially XXXXXXX leafy vegetables
- increase the proportion of iron-rich foods like palak, red kidney beans, chick peas, sprouts, dates, raisins, dairy products, etc.
- include adequate amounts of vitamin C-rich foods like citrus fruits (orange, sweet lime, lemon, etc.), gooseberry and guava.
- avoid very oily or fatty foods and fast foods
- drink atleast 8-10 glasses of water a day

I would also advise you to take a multivitamin supplement such as Becusoles Forte or Macraberin Forte or Zincovit, once a day. Also, having a brisk walk for at least 20 minutes everyday will improve the blood supply to the leg muscles and prevent any cramping or pulling sensations.

It is also advisable to have some basic blood tests done like hemoglobin, blood sugar and thyroid function tests, to check for any possible medical problems which may be causing you these symptoms.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar