Getting pressure and ringing in ear. Eyes feel heavy and tired. How to diagnose my symptoms?

ENT Specialist
Question
i have a weird pressure in my left ear not all the time (does not hurt). would said even slight ringing.Also have a feeling of heavy eyes or tired eyes. I feel fine and not tired but just driving me crazy with feeling, also left eye twitches once in a while. thank you
Posted Tue, 26 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

After going through the query, I do feel there are no significant problems.

The pressure inside the ear along with tinnitus could be due to various reasons and the most common being the Eustachian tube (the tube connecting nose and the ear) block and Temporo-mandibular joint (TMJ) disorders.

In the former condition, the Eustachian tube block can cause pressure variation inside the middle ear, thus giving rise to pressure inside the ear and tinnitus (noise in the ear). TMJ disorders caused due to dysfunction of the joint in front the ear can also give rise to similar symptoms.

Without examining the ear and the nose, it is very difficult to come to a conclusion. Hence, you can try with home remedies initially and if you are not feeling better, you can consult your doctor for a complete evaluation.

Finally, tired eyes and twitching is due to lack of sleep and not related to any of these above conditions.

My suggestions to you are:
1. Drink plenty of warm water
2. Do steam inhalation 3- 4 times a day for 3-5 minutes
3. Avoid sleeping under the fan or in front the air conditioner.
4. Avoid smoking if any
5. Avoid chewing hard food on the left side and eat only soft food on the opposite side. This is to give rest for the affected joint.

Hope this answers your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: Getting pressure and ringing in ear. Eyes feel heavy and tired. How to diagnose my symptoms? 13 hours later
Thanks for your response. Could the ear pressure cause a sensation behind my eyes? I am more worried about how I feel behind my eyes then ear pressure. Could tired eyes also be something other then tired? thanks

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 12 hours later
Hi

Thank for writing back

Pressure behind the eyes and the ear may not be related to each other unless there is associated sinusitis. As you do not have any other symptoms such as nasal block, nasal discharge, fever, headache, etc. it is difficult to say that you are suffering from sinuitis.

The pressure inside the eye could be either related to lack of sleep or refractive errors. If you are still worried, you can get a CT scan of the nose and the paranasal sinuses done to rule out any sinus blockage.

Meanwhile, you can follow the measures as mentioned in the previous post and if you are still not feeling better within a couple of days, please contact your doctor for a thorough evaluation.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon