Getting palpitation, neck pain and losing weight. Cause and cure?

Sir my wife gets pelpitation in the morning has back and neck pain and over last year has lost lot of weight.. Still no respite
Posted Fri, 8 Mar 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 1 hour later
Thanks for writing your query to us.

Neck & back pain especially after waking up in morning indicates a bad sleeping posture. Try to change the pillow which she is being taking during sleep.
Also try doing some neck & back exercises. Presently she can take a painkiller like ibuprofen if she has pain. Applying ice pack locally can also decrease the pain. However if she has this neck pain & back pain since long duration than the cause for longstanding pain needs to be evaluated. An X-ray of cervical & lumbar spine can help to find out the cause for pain.

Palpitation means there is conscious awareness of one’s own heart beat. The heart rate needs to be monitored & needs to be documented. Kindly get an electrocardiogram of your wife when she has this palpitation. This will help us to know how much the heart rate is (too fast or normal) & also heart rhythm (regular or irregular). Based on these ECG findings diagnosis can be made & treated accordingly. There are medicines available which keep the heart rate in control. So don’t worry.

As you had mentioned that your wife has significant weight loss associated with palpitation, I would advise that you get your wife’s thyroid function’s checked. Its called Thyroid function test. Hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid) can also give rise to these symptoms. It is a blood test that can be done at your pathology lab. Some of the symptoms of hyperthyroidism may be nervousness, irritability, increased perspiration, heart racing, hand tremors, anxiety, difficulty sleeping, thinning of the skin, fine brittle hair, and muscular weakness—especially in the upper arms and thighs. Weight loss, sometimes significant, may occur despite a good appetite and for women, menstrual flow may lighten and menstrual periods may occur less often. If your wife is having any of these symptoms than kindly get Thyroid function checked.

Also consult a Cardiologist & get an ECG (Electrocardiogram) done to know cause for palpitation.

I hope I have answered your query. Incase you have any further doubt, I will be happy to help you. Take care.