Getting pain in flank area, back and abdomen. Diagnosed with crohn's disease. Second opinion?

I am a 48 year old male. 4 years ago, I had sudden onset of severe cramping pain in both flank area's which seem to radiate to center of back, along with abdominal pain. I am a career Firefighter/Paramedic. I was admitted to the hospital and had several tests to include 3 separate colonoscopy's, upper GI, various ultrasounds and blood work. I was also given a Pet scan. I was hospitalized 10 days for pain control...then released. The diagnosis was Crohns disease for which I disagreed with. I felt like they were "stumped" so it was just labled. I took daily meds for 1 year and did not have any issues as I did that 1 time however, my bowel issues continuied ...with on/off cramps, feeling always the need to "go", hemroids...from sitting too long..never going away for very long...I quit taking the meds and no change was noted....I began reserching on my own and discoverd the corilation between back injury and stomach issues. 10 months before the attack, I suffered a back injury. MRI found that I had 2 bad discs in lumber area..herniation as well as tears to the outer layer...I believe it was between L4 through S1. The pain specialist I have seen gives me injections to relieve flareups when they occur...roughly 2-3 times per year...and it works. I went back to a different Gastro md and had another Colonoscopy a year ago and recieved a clean XXXXXXX of health. He stated that there was no sign of Crohns disease....Currenly, I have had 2 weeks of On/off issues with the same symptoms as before...I have seen several back MDs..from neurosurgons to ortho back docs who specialize in the spine. My pain specialist says that my stomach issues are a result of my back problem...the neuro and ortho say No....WHO DO I SEE AND BELIEVE. The ortho doc says that surgury for my discs is 2 years away with technology...they need replaced. My question is DO THE NERVES IN THAT AREA L4 THROUGH S1 HAVE ANY DIRECT OR INDIRECT IMPRESSION ON STOMACH/BOWEL ISSUES? PLEASE HELP
Posted Fri, 15 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 12 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX and thanks for your detailed history.
I am answering only after going through the details multiple times.
Since the pain is associated with bowel symptoms like cramping and altered bowel habits, the vote is towards bowel pathology.
Nerve pain can also present in this way, but it is quite rare and will be tingling pain rather than cramping and is not associated with bowel symptoms, as you have.
So, i think the symptoms are in favor of bowel pathology.
Wishing you best health