Getting mild pain below rib cage while coughing. X-ray clear. Muscle damage or liver damage?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I have a mild pain when I cough, I thought it was my lungs. I got a x-ray and there is nothing there. could it be muscle damage or Liver damage. it is just below the rib cage. I drink 6 times a week. minimum 200 ml vodka a day.
Posted Mon, 18 Feb 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.
There could be many causes for the pain
1. fatty liver due to high consumption of alcohol. Pain due to this condition is experienced more on the right side rather than on the left side. Pain and fullness after meals is a typical symptom. Ultrasound of the abdomen and liver function tests will help in diagnosis.
2. epidemic pleurodyna or Borholm's disease is another possibility. Just mild analgesics will suffice. No diagnostic tests as such.
3. pancreatic diseases at times. Confirmed by endoscopy or ultrasound of the abdomen respectively.

The best advice would be to curtail your consumption of alcohol and then observe. I hope this answers your querry.
Follow-up: Getting mild pain below rib cage while coughing. X-ray clear. Muscle damage or liver damage? 41 minutes later
If it's the case of a fatty liver then what sort of thing can I cut out of my diet with food? If I was to cut my drinking down to 3 days a week and only drank wine, would this be an advantage. Any additional information in this issue and how I can help it. Is a fatty Liver reversible?
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 5 hours later
thanks for the feedback.
Having confirmed the diagnosis of fatty liver you will need to follow a strict regimen of dietary restrictions, regular exercise and a few liver protective agents. Complete cessation of alcohol is a must.
I hope this answers your doubt.