Getting knee pain when sitting for long hours. What could be the cause?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have started to get knee pain when I sit crossed legged or on a chair for long hours.
I get pain sometimes when I get up in the morning after a disturbed sleep.
Posted Tue, 18 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
At your young age, the pain in the knee is more likely to be due to stress related minor capsular inflammation rather than decrease in the joint lubricants.
The mild inflammation of the knee after some activity like sitting cross legged or workouts mostly subsides by taking antiinflammatory agents and mild pain killers like ibuprofen. In some cases for acute problem muscle relaxants like thiocolchicoside are needed after consulting with your orthopaedician.
If still there is no relief then oral steroids and oral lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate and chondroitin are given. Injections - intra- articular are the last options to be considered if all the above measures fail.
In the meanwhile, for symptomatic relief:
1. Give enough rest to your knee- use an elastic knee brace.
2. Take mild pain killers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
3. Stronger prescription NSAIDS with muscle relaxants may help if simple analgesics do not help.
4. Hot compresses to your knee will be useful pain relieving measure. You may apply a local analgesic gel like volini gel on that area.
5. Calf and hamstring stretches can be helpful under the guidance of a physiotherapist after the acute pain subsides completely.
6. Generally we recommended, rest, graded exercises, rest and graded exercises to let you know the right amount of time you can spend on exercise without injuring yourself.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Getting knee pain when sitting for long hours. What could be the cause? 9 minutes later
Does it mean that I get older I can get more knee issues?
My bones started to crack a lot when I used to get this pain. I have consulted a orthopedist and there were no issues as per him. The pain subsided when I took the calcium tablets and Vitamin B12. As soon as I stopped it started again mildly.
I had started to do yoga and exercises to make my leg muscles stronger.
I recently started jogging, but only for sometime and once or twice a week. Will that harm my knees?

Is this problem right now an indication that when I get older I may get more knee problems?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 13 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
If the pain is due to decreased levels of Vitamin D3 ( can be checked with a simple blood test) then proper supplementation will correct the pain. In case there is inflammation or decreased knee lubricants then you might have more problems with advancing age.
Any knee inflammation can be ruled out after an MRI scan of the knee.
Exercises like aerobics and jogging are good for you but these are recommended only after the acute pain subsides. You can consult a physical therapist to know the exercises best for you.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.