Getting hoarse voice when depressed. How to get rid of it?

When I get depressed, i sound hoarse to myself and I find it difficult to talk and think about what to say as i sound completely different to what my voice normally sounds like, However i have recorded myself and i sound exactly the same as i do when I am in a normal mood, Its something that i constantly worry about as i find it hard to relax and stop thinking about when it happens its also linked to low levels of energy and enthusiasm
Thank You
Posted Tue, 4 Dec 2012 in Depression
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 4 hours later

I understand your concern. The change in your voice while you are depressed is a normal expected finding. It does happen when someone is in low mood.

Different people experience different kind of symptoms while in a depressed mood. Having a low or hoarse voice is one such thing.

As you have nothing to report in your medical history and also considering your age of 20, I do not think there is anything seriously wrong with you.

You might consider getting yourself examined by an ENT specialist at his office, get an IDL (Indirect Laryngoscopy) done to rule out any problems with your vocal cords.

Try to get away from being depressed, indulge in good physical activities including sports.

You should do well soon. Let me know if you have more concerns.

I wish you good health.