Getting headache and earache. Suspected for sinusitis and psychosomatic disorders. Prognosis?

Dec 2012

I have had to deal with two hangings at work both people dead and since then I have felt really ear started to hurt and it felt as if I was having contractions in it, then the whole of the left hand side of my face started to hurt. The top of my head feels as if someone is pulling my hair outv. The pain in my head was terrible. At first the dr thought it was sinusitis but I went back and a different dr said it was psyco somatic because of what I had to deal with. My head ache and ear are slightly better but my hair only feels better if I pull it. I feel drained all the time and have no energy I am going back to the drs Monday but have no idea how to cope with work. I went to my sisters sat but after two hrs just wanted to come home and be on my own thank u XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 22 minutes later

Unfortunately the medical solutions will require prescription medications to help with the depression you are having. The pains you are manifesting are more likely pyschogenic neuralgia (nerve pains of psychological origin). Treatment of choice is antidepressants such as tricyclic antidepressants such as amitryptylline and benzodiazepines like clonazepam ( for anxiety and even to manage the pains). Normal analgesics will be of little use because of the origin of the pain.
You need to relax a little bit, take permission off duty (a few days off) as it might add the stress. Get a psychiatrist involved as soon as you can before it gets worst.
I hope you fee a little better after reading this and wish to hear from you again if got any further worries.

Dr Nsah