Getting excessive saliva and noticed blood in it. What am I suffering from?

Hi,I've got excessive saliva and has yellowish saliva and sometimes is bloody
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 43 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Excess salivation is known medically as sialorrhea. It is classified as primary (where the glands that make saliva make too much of it ) or secondary ( problems with coordination of the muscles in the face and mouth, resulting in saliva accumulating).

Saliva is made and secreted from 3 glands: the submandibular gland, the sublingual gland and parotid gland.
Increased secretion can occur as a result of medication (tranquilzers or anti seizure meds) and in illnesses such as GERD,infections/inflammation in any aspect of the mouth, pregnancy, exposure to toxins such as mercury.
Decreased drainage can occur as a result of neurological conditions, enlarged tongue, problems related to the structure of the mouth or jaw.

The fact that yellow saliva and blood is also present mean that an infection is the most likely cause,though the others will be checked by your doctor.
Blood in the saliva can be related to problems in the nose and its passages, the gastrointestinal tract and this would have to be assessed.

Treatment depends on the cause but, in general treatment consists of treating any relevant cause, use of medication to reduce saliva production and for those with a structural issue, surgery.

IF possible, it would be best to visit your doctor for assessment of your oral cavity.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Getting excessive saliva and noticed blood in it. What am I suffering from? 25 minutes later
Hi, i'm only 3 months pregnant and I've been having severe pains on my lower back,stomach, virgina and an abnormal heartbeating on my abnominal area......I have been having this pains for two months now,everyday.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 13 minutes later
The pregnancy would account for the excess salivation, this is common.

It is normal to experience pain in the pelvis and abdominal area, it due to stretching of the ligaments in the pelvis as your body prepares for the baby. This can be treated with paracetamol, no other pain medication can be used at this time. If the pain is unbearable, you may want to consider visiting your doctor to ensure that there is nothing else occurring.
If you experience pain that is cramping in nature or associated with vaginal bleeding then you need to see your doctor as soon as possible.

Some women do experience increased pulsation in pregnancy , this may be due to the umbilical pulse.
There are other major blood vessels like the aorta that run through the abdomen, to determine if it is contributing to the pulse , your doctor will look at the exact location of the pulsation and check the rate.

Please feel free to ask any other questions