Ask a Urologist   »  

Getting burning sensation while urinating and have red vagina. Is this a sign of UTI?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
My daughter, who holds her urine for long periods of time just cause she doesn't feel like going to the bathroom, just stated that it burned when she peed. When she pulled her vaginal 'lips' apart it was red. Is this a sign of a UTI? Do I need to take her to the Dr.?
Posted Sat, 16 Feb 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 2 hours later
Welcome to HCM!

Yes ,definitely.

With burning micturition ,there is a high probability of UTI in girl babies.

The redness is not directly related to UTI. It can be a vaginal fungal infection.

Especially since you say that she had a severe kidney infection earlier ,it is all the more relevant to take her to the doctor and get her urine tested for culture and sensitivity.

Good luck

God bless

Dr Uma