Getting allergic reaction to septra. Taking benadryl. What should I do?

ENT Specialist
I had an allergic reaction to Septra 3 days ago. Went to ED I have been taking benadryl. My symptom was tightness in throat. Severe when it 1st happened I still have the tight feeling but no where as severe is this normal? I started taaking Benadryl again.
It seemed better yesterday and worse today after I took my synthroid.
Posted Wed, 7 Nov 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 32 minutes later

Thank you for your writing back.

1. The first step is to stop the Septra.

2. Besides the anti-allergy medication (Benadryl) , you may discuss with your doctor to get a videolaryngoscopy and chest examination done and start steroids and bronchodilators since you still have a tightness in the throat and chest.

3. Sulfa based rugs are known to depress thyroid function, however there is no direct interaction that should have caused a worsening of symptoms.

4. You must strictly avoid sulfa drugs in the future.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.