Getting HBP after eating at night and starts sweating. Any risk of heart attack?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2013
Jan 2013

Question
sometimes i get high Very High bp after meal in night when i go to bed & this causes very much sweating. what is this & is this can be heart attack anytime.my age is 33 yaers.
Posted Mon, 25 Feb 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 42 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know the associated details along with raised blood pressure.
1) Do you have positive family history of early heart disease? (Early heart disease is considered in female <65 years and in male <55 years and you have mentioned only family history of heart disease).
2) Do you have an active or sedentary life?
3) Are you an obese?
4) Are you an alcoholic?
5) What is your current blood pressure both morning & evening?

Blood pressure has diurnal variations and if comparison is done between morning and evening blood pressure then evening blood pressure is always on the higher side than morning values.
Rise in blood pressure after meals is also a natural phenomenon.
Let me know your blood pressure values.

I have gone through your blood reports and following conclusion is made:

You have deranged liver enzymes level (SGPT & SGOT). Rise in liver enzymes could be due to hepato-biliary diseases i.e. hepatitis, gall stones disease, pancreatitis, common bile duct stones.

You have deranged lipid profile with raised cholesterol, triglycerides and low HDL.
Treatment of Dyslipidemia (deranged lipid profile) is decided by presence / absence of risk factors.

Smoking, age > 45 years, sedentary life, first degree relative with positive early heart disease 140/90 mm Hg, Diabetes are considered as risk factors.

Treatment of Dyslipidemia is decided by LDL level and should read ATP III guidelines.
If < 2 risk factors are present then LDL should be < 160 mg%.
If > 2 risk factors with 10 year risk of developing heart disease is <20% then LDL should be <130 mg%.
If > 2 risk factors with 10 year risk of developing heart disease is >20%, diabetes then LDL should be <100 mg%.
You can download calculator from following site: WWW.WWWW.WW For very high risk patients, LDL should be < 70 mg%.

Life style modifications are required in your case.
You should take low fat diet and live physically active life.
You should continue brisk exercise 30 minutes per day, at least 5 days in a week.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ cardiologist and should remain in touch.
You should also go for ultrasound imaging to rule out hepato-biliary pathology.
You should continue life style modifications for 3-4 months and statins (for lowering raised and deranged lipid profile) and should go for repeat lipid profile and observe the improvements.

As such possibility of heart attack appears to be low with the mentioned symptoms, you should also go for ECG, and stress test.
If all these investigations are found to be normal then possibility of panic attacks should also be keep in mind.

Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Getting HBP after eating at night and starts sweating. Any risk of heart attack? 1 hour later
Let i make u know the associated details along with raised blood pressure.

1) yes i have positive family history of early heart disease? (my mother is of 50 & she has HBP).
2) not so much active,coz i m running a business which normally controlled by office only
3) no i m not an obese?
4) i was alcoholic till before 4 months(alternatively quarter amount of vodka).now i dont touch that.
5) current blood pressure both morning & evening is normal.

I request you to please clarify,why suddenly i feel very much Fussiness & sweating at that time. i dont take fatty foods,then why my lipid profile is increased?wat the reason behind it & wat the treatment?How much is this life threatening?

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
So you have 3 risk factors: raised BP, positive family history, sedentary life.
Your LDL must be below 100 mg%.
It is a great thing to remain away from alcohol.
All dyslipidemic cases are because of excessive intake of fatty and fried edibles.
Few families are prone for heart disease and all these components of lipid profile are dependent on enzyme (which helps in formation of components of lipid profile) activity.

Fussiness and sweating could be due to sudden onset panic attacks.
If you find yourself is getting stress due to business and other routine activities then possibility of panic attacks and anxiety is high.

deranged lipid profile is also associated with accumulation of lipid in arteries of body and put on high risk of heart attack, stroke and other ischemic disease.
You should take statins along with fenofibrate on written prescription.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava