Get recurring bilateral diffuse mucosal swelling. What could the cause be?

Hi. I have bilateral diffuse buccal mucosal swelling. Just trying to get some ideas. I have been to my doctor three times for this. He doesn't seem to know what could cause this. He said everything looks normal except the swelling with the right side being worse. There is nothing new other than I have been drinking more beer and smoking more. Been a little stressed, dad dying. Working on cutting back so don't yell at me,kidding. Doctor said no evidence of infection, lesions,ulcers, tumors,etc. I did salt water swooshes, ibuprofen, Claritin and nothing has helped. I had a couple bite wounds but those happened after the cheeks swelled so think that was secondary problem. I can't think of anything I could be allergic to, unless it's beer or cigarettes and this just developed. It's so strange. Any ideas? Thanks. Just wondering if anybody has ever seen this. Also developed a lump under the skin left lower lip which I think could be a mucocele. Dr never touched it when I told him about it. Can see it at all on surface.
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Welcome to healthcare magic!
The swelling in the buccal mucosa is a rare phenomenon and clinicians may find hard to recognise it but patient can easily feel the discomfort because oral cavity gets the luxury of one of the best nerve supply for touch, texture and pain.
The swelling is mostly indicative of local irritation may be due to stress and recent increase in smoking and drinks. Next common cause is deficiency of vitamins in the body.
Thirdy a condition called leukoplakia, also causes local thickening in the buccal mucosa along with the limitted mouth opening, it is a precancerous condition.
Obvoiusly you must cut down or stop the smoking and drinking in all the possibilities for best results.
Start a multi-vitamin supplement like Tab supradyn twice a day.
Apply locally a soothing agent, eg Lig Glycerine thrice a day.
Leukoplakia is a serious concern so please get yourself reviewed to an expert local physician/ENT surgeon.
I hope you would get benefited with my advise.
Wish you a good health.