Get flutter in throat for seconds and sometimes a thump in chest. Ecg and stress test normal. Cause?

i think i have palpitations? i get a flutter in my throat for a few a few seconds and sometimes a thump in my chest. are these dangerous? i have had many test and my doctor assures me my heart is fine.
i have had many tests on heart. ecg. ecg stresstest. ecocardiogram and all blodd work were perfect.
Posted Fri, 20 Sep 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please see details below.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir
1. A thump in chest, a feeling of rapid heart beat or any perception/ awareness of heartbeat is called palpitation. The causes of palpitation include disorder of heart rhythm and conditions associated with higher volume of blood in heart.
2. If palpitations are associated with loss of consciousness/ chest pain/ blackout/ unexplained fall, then it is an emergency and should be looked into at priority. Otherwise, the best way to look at palpitations is to identify the heart rhythm at timeo f palpitation. This can be best done by an electrocardiogram (ECG) taken at time of palpitation. At times when it is not feasible, we can apply a 24 hour ECG monitor (Holter monitor) provided that likelihood of occurrence of event in 24 hours is high or sometime we have to do ECG recordings for longer periods by loop recorders. The danger or harm of palpitation depends upon the type of rhythm you have at time of palpitation.
3. Next step in work up is a thorough clinical examination, an echocardiogram (ECHO or ultrasound of heart), blood profile mainly including thyroid hormone levels & hemoglobin. These are all normal in your case as you have mentioned. This also excludes the other category (higher heart volumes) as a cause of palpitation.
4. Most common cause of occasional transient palpitations are premature contractions. Exact cause of these premature contractions is not clear in all the cases. They are common in normal population and most of people never get aware about them. They are more common in people with high thyroid hormone level, smokers, those who use excess of coffee/ tea, anxious personality, lung disorder, high blood pressure, anti-cold/ anti-asthma medication. Some ingredients in food may cause these palpitations in certain individuals. If you feel any particular food item precipitates them, please avoid it.
5. In most cases avoidance of precipitants & a single drug from group of beta-blockers can help reducing/ suppressing them. These can be taken after prescription from local cardiologist. Premature contractions with normal underlying heart on ECHO are not XXXXXXX
Hope this provide insight into your problem.
Feel free to discuss further.