Get discomfort while climbing stairs. ECG and Cardio stress normal. Is it chest pain or muscle pain?

Cardiologist
Question
Good morning i am XXXXXXX 35 years . my complain is that i couldn't recognize if what i feel is chest pain or muscle pain > i feel this minor discomfort when climb up 9 flights (about 260 stairs) i also feel a very minor arm pain . i did an ECG & Cardio Stress test last week & both were normal & my Cardiologist told me to go out of the Clinic & that i am fine > i am very anxious & stressed > but i need to make sure that i am fine . Note: this chest feeling doesn't force me to stop climbing so i always continue >
Posted Thu, 5 Dec 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: It's more like a muscle pain... Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX I read very carefully your concern and would like to say: Fortunately for you your ECG and stress test are OK, this are clinical evidence that your heart is OK. I said don't worry it's more like muscle or skeletal pain. If i was your cardiologist i would suggest to conduct a healthy life style and another ECG and stress test should be repeated after a year (as a routine check up schedule). Hope it answered to your concern! Dr.Benard p.s. If you have more concerns, feel free to write back to me! I'd be happy to assist you further.

Follow-up: Get discomfort while climbing stairs. ECG and Cardio stress normal. Is it chest pain or muscle pain? 1 hour later
Do i have to take aspirin or similar to maintain my Cardio system > Does the angina feel shall force me to stop exercising . i mean is it painful to recognize it > Thanks Dear

Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Please follow the sugestion below... Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for writing back. There is no indication for you to use aspirin. As long as your cardio tests were normal, there is no need to be worried about. With regards to angina, it is mostly due to stress. So, I strongly suggest to continue exercise and sporting as that will help you beat the stress and keep you fit. At the beginning, try light exercises (walking), then, go for moderate to aerobic exercising (like running, etc.). Hope it answered to your inquiries! Wish you health! Dr.Benard

Follow-up: Get discomfort while climbing stairs. ECG and Cardio stress normal. Is it chest pain or muscle pain? 21 minutes later
I think that you understood that i had an angina . I am just asking about its symptoms if it happened to any body . But thanks God i am fine . I didn't got it till now . I just need to know if it is easy to recognize it if happened to anybody ? Thanks & sorry for inconvenience .

Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 4 hours later
Brief Answer: It's not easy to recognize angina... Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you again for writing back. I'm happy that you are fine and i wish to you all the bests. Now i would like to say that it's not always easy for a patient to recognize angina when it happened and sometimes it's difficult for doctors to. The signs and symptoms of angina are different in different people, some times the symptoms are typical for angina and some times are not. This is why the complete cardiac check up (ECG, heart ECHO, Stress test and cardiac bio markers) are done in all cases of suspected angina. Hope it answered to your inquiries! Wish you health! Dr.Benard

Follow-up: Get discomfort while climbing stairs. ECG and Cardio stress normal. Is it chest pain or muscle pain? 2 days later
This is my last question Can the excessive exercise cause an arm & chest discomfort . Im mean when i go for climbing & running 11 flights of stairs one shot (3 times in the morning) i just take 15 min between every time , i begin to feel this arm & chest discomfort in the 3rd time when i arrive to the 9th fLoor but i push myself & continue . I don't have any other symptoms . This can be from the muscle strain or what do you think specially that all my cardio tests became negative .

Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 34 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for writing back. From your description, it is like a neuro-muscular pain rather than from heart problem as long as your cardio tests are negative. It is normal to have such reaction especially when doing heavy exercises such as climbing or running. You can take some break in between or to start the activity slowly, then, gradually increase the level of exercise. In other words, when start running, take first some simple steps (walking) then, gradually pass to light running until gradually increase activity. Usually, the angina pain does not allow to continue your activity. Hope it answered to your questions! If you have more concerns, feel free to write me back! Dr.Benard