Get cough and congestion whenever the weather changes. Initially was dry cough and have some mucus. Suggest?

General Surgeon
I get cough and congestion whenever the weather changes. Recently it happened with the sudden dip in humidity levels in the atmosphere. Initially the cough was very dry but after two days now some mucus is also there
Posted Tue, 27 Aug 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 1 hour later
Hi !

I am Dr Shareef answering your query.

It is common to get upper respiratory infections whenever there is a change in the atmospheric temperature specially if the atmosphere contains much pollution. Mostly these infections are viral which may vary from one season to the other. But the viral infection can get a super-added infection any time, and this causes the cold attack to prolong for a longer duration and may complicate the course of the disease.

In your case the cough was dry initially, but due to chronic inflammation of the respiratory mucus membrane, there is some mucus secretion which comes out with the cough.

I would like to know if you get fever as well, and does your sputum smells bad with a yellowish tinge. This points to super added bacterial infection, for which you may have to take some antibiotics after consulting your family physician.
If you get any musical/wheezing sound along with some breathlessness, then you may be heading for bronchitis, which needs separate treatment by your treating doctor if need be.

In the mean while, I would suggest you to go for regular simple steam inhalations about three times a day, which gives a lot of relief symptomatically. Also, if you smoke, please discontinue with firmness.

I hope I have replied to your query. However, if you have got any further doubt, please feel free to ask. Thanks and wishing you an early recovery.
Follow-up: Get cough and congestion whenever the weather changes. Initially was dry cough and have some mucus. Suggest? 3 hours later
Yes doctor there is a clear wheezing sound along with some breathlessness though this never happened before whenever i had cough. Sputum came out in the morning only and it was a little yellowish in colour. Initially there was some fever but I took paracetamol and ciplox (250 mg) and fever is not there anymore but not much relief from cough. Also water flows through the eyes sometimes. Atmospheric temperature has also increased here as you pointed out.
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 36 minutes later
Hi ! Thanks for the fast response which shows good concern for your health.

The latest findings which you have described suggest that you have got an allergic bronchitis which also causes watering from the eyes and nose by the allergens. Also, the yellowish discoloration of the sputum with a history of fever points to some bacterial infection, for which you took Ciplox, but the dose you mentioned is under dosed, and so possibly the infection still persists.

I would suggest you to show yourself to a physician/chest specialist of your area at your earliest, who may advise you for nebulisation along with some broncho dilator, an anti allergic, and appropriate antibiotic in the right dosage and right duration under supervision. You can continue with the steam inhalation as advised earlier by me.

I hope I have answered your query. Do not hesitate to ask if you have got any further doubt, otherwise you can close the discussion with rating it.