Get cold and cough. Prescribed simple paracetamol coupled with phenylephrine. Taken advent. Suggest medication to improve?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
Hello Doctor,

My daugher is 4 years old. She uses to get cold & cough every two months. Our doctor said thats due to the climate at my place and will get over with simple paracetamol coupled with phenylephrine (sinarest plus). A week back, again the cold, fever scenario came up, but we were told to check on xray of chest, blood test, urine test, allergy test, etc., Though all the tests proved negative, the ESR was 32 against the normal XXXXXXX of 20 for a female child & the xray gave pneumonic indications. She is given advent forte 457mg. We were also told that fever, cough, etc., will come up again and again due to this condition.

I don't know how to prevent the problem as we don't want to see the child coughing and shivering every month. What should we do to prevent or get out of this problem? Should we continue to give montair LC Kid or duolin +budecort or any other medicine to ensure her condition improves?
Posted Fri, 18 Oct 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
multiple causes to be evaluated

Detailed Answer:

The management depends on whether she. has

1 wheezing attacks

2 recurrent allergic attacks

3 recurrent viral infections which are common in this age.

For prevention

Avoid exposure to crowded places.

Avoid dust at home and outside

Avoid known allergens ( watch out for egg,fish,citrus fruits like orange ,lemon etc)

She will out grow these if there is no family history of allergy or asthma.

Good luck

Dr Uma
Follow-up: Get cold and cough. Prescribed simple paracetamol coupled with phenylephrine. Taken advent. Suggest medication to improve? 28 minutes later

Thanks. To answer your queries:

1. She has no wheezing problem.

2. Allergy. We went for mantoux test which came negative. I don't know whether this test is suffice to say that there is no allergy on account of food, dust, etc.,.

3. Not sure of viral infections as there could be so many reasons for this.

We will surely go for precautions what you have mentioned here. Can you also let me know whether this pneumonic conditions will bring up lung congestion again and again? Should I avoid orange, lemon, etc., totally as we were even told to avoid all fruits totally?

I know we cannot avoid getting cold, cough, but how can I ensure that it does not grow to pneumonic level again? Is there a way to keep lungs clean always?

Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
will son out grow the problem

Detailed Answer:

Mantoux test rules out tuberculosis or primary complex and not allergy.

Allergy or allergen is difficult to find out and involves trial and error methods!!

All fruits are not banned - you can try appear,guava,etc.

Each child behaves differently

Pneumonia ESP if viral should not recur usually.

If no wheezing no need for steroid inhalers

Don't worry about lung health because you can not do more than what is possible!!

She will gradually come out of it!

God bless

Dr Uma