Geographic tongue, vitamin D deficiency, removed gall bladder, have Barrett's Esophagus, GERD. HIV?

Question
Hello, I remember having been diagnosed with a geographic tongue when I was at least 10 or younger. I have had my gall bladder removed in the last 2 years and blood work done every 6 months. I fear now though, from looking up the G. T. that this means I have HIV. Doctors and dentists never are concerned with my tongue. Might I also mention that my mother and daughter have a G. T. as well. I am fairly healthy, I dont sleep enought though. I am Vit. D. deficient but other than that my blood work is excellect Do I have HIV since I have a GT? I am worried sick, so much so I cannot sleep at all at night. I might also add that I sleep with my mouth opend ( always have) and I have Barrett's Eso and GERD PLEASE HELP!
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 38 minutes later
Hello
Geographic tongue is characterised by irregularly shaped red, map-like smooth swollen patches on the tongue. A white border sometimes surrounds them. It is also known as benign migratory glossitis because the appearance is constantly changing. Although geographic tongue is benign (harmless) it may persist for years, and often recurs.
It is absolutely a benign lesion and in no way indicates an HIV infection. It can also run in families.
The exact cause is unknown but the following factors have been linked with the condition:
* It occurs more commonly in patients with psoriasis, especially pustular psoriasis
* There are also associations with diabetes, anaemia, atopy (asthma and/or eczema) and stress
* In some patients particular foods seem to be a trigger, especially cheese
* Clustering within a family suggests genetic involvement
* Variation with the menstrual cycle suggests hormonal factors
Still to clear your doubts you can get a screening test for HIV done from any laboratory.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.
Regards.

Follow-up: Geographic tongue, vitamin D deficiency, removed gall bladder, have Barrett's Esophagus, GERD. HIV? 26 minutes later
So, until I can get to have a screening for HIV, you would think that I should not worry and keep researching if I have HIV based of the facts you know about me, correct?
I think, personally that my condition is genitic and stress driven more than anything.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
You need not worry at all. It is actually in your genes. None of the treatments are likely to help. You are not infected with HIV - based on the history that you have provided.
Wishing you an early recovery.
Regards.

Follow-up: Geographic tongue, vitamin D deficiency, removed gall bladder, have Barrett's Esophagus, GERD. HIV? 10 hours later
I am sorry to keep bothering you, but I did have HPV a year ago and I now have swollen lymph nodes in my throat for over a week. My white blood count is at a 6.1. I am still worried. Based off everything you know, do you really think that I am not likely to have HIV?
Please help?

Thanks!

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

WBC counts between 4.5 to 11 thousand cells per cubic millimeter is normal. Verify the units of measurement reported in your WBC count. Value of 6.1 thousand cells/cubic mm is normal and not concerning.

However swollen neck glands need to be investigated to find out the cause. The best would be an FNAC done under the guidance of your physician.

Swollen neck glands can be due to infection, metabolic disorders and rarely malignancies, etc.

Hope this helps.

Wishing you an early recovery.

Regards.

Follow-up: Geographic tongue, vitamin D deficiency, removed gall bladder, have Barrett's Esophagus, GERD. HIV? 2 hours later
So a complete CBC ( perfect results )with a good results of the blood differencial test makes you feel that I am in the clear for HIV, correct?
If I was exposed to HIV at all, it would have been over 9 years ago.
So you are telling me that what little symtoms I have, do not add up to being HIV positive?

I bought a test and plan on taking it soon. I just need to get my nerves together 1st.
Thank you for all your help.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Hello.
Your overall symptomatology does not match with that of HIV. So, rest assured. You can take the test for the peace of your mind.
Regards.

Follow-up: Geographic tongue, vitamin D deficiency, removed gall bladder, have Barrett's Esophagus, GERD. HIV? 4 days later
Ok. Sorry to keep bothering you, but for the last 5 days I fell like i have thrush on my tongue and off and on diahrrea.
Am I just at this point a complete hypochondriac and am making myself sicker thinking these symptoms are HIV related?
I looked again and my T cell count is RIGHT in the middle of where it should be.

Can stress and worrying bring on thrush and diahrrea as well?
Do you still feel my symptoms are not related to HIV?

Thanks for your help.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Hello.
Thrush is a fugal infection commonly treated with anti fungal lotions. It is not caused by stress. Diarrhea has got a strong psychological association and stress is a major factor in its causation. These both are not suggestive of HIV in any way. So, rest assured.
Hope this helps.