Gave an infant triple dose of flucloxacillin. Now what?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
hi. i read instructions inproperly and gave my 10 week old baby triple dose of 125mg/5ml flucloxacillin...:{
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Parenting
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later

‘Flucloxacillin’ is an antibiotic usually used for staphylococcal infection in newborn and infants.
The usual oral dose is 25 mg/kg every 6 - 8 hourly to a maximum of 50 mg/kg per dose.
It can cause liver and kidney toxicity and gastrointestinal side effects like nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, occasionally rash and allergic reaction in some.
The side effects would be more common in high doses or prolonged treatment.

To help you in taking further decision I would like to know few details - like exact dose in ml given, exact weight of baby, any symptoms like rash or vomiting after giving the medicine, any congenital or preexisting illness in baby.

If by now baby has developed any signs of toxicity like diarrhea with or without blood in stools, vomiting, incessant crying due to abdominal pain, fever, rash, or breathing difficulty, please take the baby promptly to an emergency facility for assessment and management. Even if no symptoms developed, it is advisable to consult your pediatrician for monitoring the liver and kidney functions of baby by blood tests and decide about further management.
Meanwhile keep the baby well hydrated by frequent breast or formula feeding.

I will be able to give you more information regarding this problem upon receiving your reply to my earlier questions.