Gastric pain, diagnosed with lax cardia, esophagitis and duodenitis. Want more details.

Infertility Specialist
my wife is suffering from gastric pain and druing her endoscopy doc diagnosis mild lax cardia; lower esophagitis and gastro doudenitis please provide more details
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 28 minutes later

I have gone through the endoscopy report you have sent.

Cardia is a portion where esophagus and stomach XXXXXXX Any way I will explain you the report in simple non medical words so that you can understand:
1) Lax cardia means the the junction of esophagus and stomach is loose. It has to be more tight because food once eaten should not regurgitate. Since the contents of stomach are coming back to esophagus, this has lead to inflammation of lower esophagus which is called esophagitis.
2) Gastritis means inflammation of stomach lining.
3) Duodenitis is inflammation of duodenal lining.

This condition occurs in people who suffer with hyperacidity. But good news is that, there is nothing to worry as this condition is common with lot of people and effective treatment exists with simple antacid tablets which your doctor would have given now.

Don't worry about cancer or any other problem, as the endoscopists has not taken biopsy and pictures appear good. Just follow your physicians advice and take the medicine regularly.

Try to have less stress and eat foods with less spice and chilli in it. Drink plenty of water. Reduce drinking tea and coffee. Your wife will improve with all these measures.

I hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Follow-up: Gastric pain, diagnosed with lax cardia, esophagitis and duodenitis. Want more details. 2 days later
Doctor thank you for your answer bit reliefed now. I have one more question that is because my wife is fine whole day with medicine however in late evening time she starts having mild pain in her stomach. One more thing I need proper guidance on what should she eat

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 6 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

The gastric pain always comes in certain time of the day (called diurnal variation in medical terms) depending which part of the stomach or intestine has the problem. Hence dont worry about the timing of the pain. You can ask your physician if she can take another dose of same medicine in the evening. She might get relived of pain in evening also.
1) Regarding food habits, She can eat anything what she likes. But cautiooon is that the food should not be too hot, chilli and spicy. All food items should have less chilli powder, spices etc... just for food to make palatable to eat. oo much hot and spicy foods increase acidity.
2) Try not take too much of tea or coffee. They increase acidity
3) after food dont sleep or lie down immediately. She has to either sit or walk for about one hour after food. Lie down on bed only after one hour each time after food.
4) Try to reduce stress in life if she has any. Involve in YOGA, Meditaton etc..

Hope I answered your query in complete.

All the Best