Gastric issues since a year, weight gain, constant lower abdominal pain, blood in stools. Suggestions?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
hii i am female 26 , I have Gas in Stomach problem for the last 1 year. i gained lot of weight too . I dont have thyroid .
I constantly suffer from severe lower abdominal pain (i even undergone Ultra Sound Scan and its normal)and from 4 days
blood passes through motion.
That blood is in Bright Red Colour.
Posted Tue, 4 Jun 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 39 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

First, I need to say that many young people experience similar symptoms and this isn't something to be very concerned about because most causes (more than 95%) of fresh blood in stool are benign and treatable.

Considering your weight gain.This can be caused by other hormonal abnormalities,not just thyroid. There can be estrogen and steroid hormones imbalance so check these levels and do ovary ultrasound to rule out PCOS (Polycystic ovarian syndrome).

These gynaecological disorders may cause pain and bloating as well. Also IBD (Inflammatory bowel disease) and stress gastritis are common in your age.

When talking about those causes of fresh blood in stool; in your age most common causes are fissures, hemorrhoids, polyps and angiodysplasia. These 4 are those 95% I have mentioned. Sometimes blood can occur even after minor straining during the defecation of hard stool.

Hemorrhoids usually bleed when defecating and are associated with burning pain. It can be easily diagnosed by proctologist examination and there are various methods of treatment.
Polyps can bleed periodically and always must be considered in such conditions. It can be verified only by colonoscopy which is also curative method for such lesions. Also polyps can transform to malignancies rarely.

So you don’t need to hurry but I suggest to do red blood count and if there is anaemia or you notice progression in symptoms you should do colonoscopy to rule polyps and inflammatory bowel diseases out.

If there is no anaemia then this is not significant rectal/bowel bleeding and you just need to take some stool softeners, drink enough liquids, eat high fibre food, fruit, vegetables, camomile tea and do so called "sitz bath".

Ultarsound is nonspecific for hollow abdominal organs. Some imaging tests ,CT or endoscipic tests are more reliable for evaluation of abdominal discomfort.

Wish you good health. If you have any question I will be glad to help.