Gallbladder removed, irregular bowl movement, nausea, feels dizzy, hypothyroid

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Persistent dizziness 18 months after gallbladder removal.
had my gallbladder removed about a year and a half ago. Post surgery, I was severely nauseated and frequently very dizzy.

My doctor started me on Cholestyramine, which made a big difference as the nausea and discomfort seemed to worsen with diarrhea. If my bowel movements are irregular (in consistency or frequency, I usually go once a day), I also experience nausea that passes after I've gone to the bathroom.

My biggest concern is my almost constant mild dizziness. I never had anything like this prior to the gallbladder removal. I eat a varied, low fat diet, lots of fruit and veggies, no red meat, fried food, alcohol or junk food. I stopped eating dairy a year ago thinking that adhering to an IBS like diet might help. I am hypothyroid, and have been successfully taking Synthroid for many years now.

I have no pain, and virtually no other side effects aside from the constant dizziness and occasional nausea.

Is it related to the way my body is handling bile production? I have read that sometimes the vagus nerve is negatively effected by the stomach emptying process, but honestly I'm not sure what really means, or if it's even a valid idea.

Is there anything that will help me?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 12 hours later
There are two issues which you have brought up.

1. After removal of the gall bladder, the nature of bile which comes into the intestine is dilute as the concentrating power of the gall bladder is gone. As a result you will encounter slight difficulty in digesting fats. It is therefore suggested that you should consume a low fat diet for a period of at least 6 months. Refrain from oil or ghee XXXXXXX foods. Cholestyramine will help in the short time. But it is not advisable to continue it for long. With time, the bowel will get acclimatized to the diluted bile. This is known sequelae to removal of the gall bladder in quite a few patients. You need not worry about it. The nauseated feel will slowly disappear.

2. Regarding dizziness you need to check your thyroid hormone levels. Also check your blood sugar levels. Get your blood pressure and cardiac profile done. That would be a safe and better way.

Hope I have answered your query.