Gaining weight and suffering from constipation. Should I reduce the dosage of eltroxin?

Radiologist, Nuclear Medicine
Question
I am on eltroxin for last 25 years i am taking 137.5 mcg evryday and 125 on sundays my tsh is .315 i am active and get good sleep but still have weight gain and constipation. When i was taking 125 my tsh shot up to 3 and i was badly constipated . My question is shld i reduce medicine ? I am 55 years old and have a mechanical heart valve.
Posted Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Manoranjan Chowhan 16 hours later
Brief Answer: maintaining the current dose would be ideal Detailed Answer: You have earlier taken tab Eltroxin at 125 micgm and your TSH was within normal range, as you have mentioned. I feel you should maintain at this dose, as over correction of thyroid problems will lead to excess loss of calcium resulting in osteoporosis another set of problems. As regards to constipation you need to take high roughage diet like lots of vegetables eg. Green leafy veg. Besides you may take plenty of fluid to avoid constipation. For weight problem, consume low controlled diet and you should exercise too. With best wishes from Dr Chowhan.

Follow-up: Gaining weight and suffering from constipation. Should I reduce the dosage of eltroxin? 12 minutes later
But at 125 i was feeling very bloated and unwell can i take a dose in between say 137.5 amd 125 alternate days

Answered by Dr. Manoranjan Chowhan 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes, you can alternate Detailed Answer: If you faced problem like abdominal bloating, this may arise due to to other causes also. However, you may modify taking alternately 125 and 137.5, if this dose makes you more comfortable. You may take this dose and get Serum TSH assessed after 6 weeks. Send your feedback. With best wishes from Dr Chowhan

Follow-up: Gaining weight and suffering from constipation. Should I reduce the dosage of eltroxin? 37 minutes later
Thanks

Answered by Dr. Manoranjan Chowhan 46 hours later
Brief Answer: you are welcome Detailed Answer: Wish you good luck