Gagging sensation after excess caffeine intake, smoking. Is it serious?

After I have drunk a lot of coffee I tend to get strong gagging sensations, often a minute or two after a zip. I also smoke and occasionally drink. Could this be sign of something serious? It generally happens after a night out on the town.
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

We as physicians know from a long history of research that excessive consumption of stimulants can provide a patient with a mixture of several different symptoms. Regarding the gagging this is something I have seen in more than one previous patient. Sometimes the stimulant effect of the caffeine can activate some of the nerves within the central nervous system. This can make even a simple type of exercise such as swallowing become a complex activity which sometimes confuses the nervous system.

I think the excessive caffeine intake along with cigarette smoking and alcohol could potentially be what is exacerbating what is going on in your case. I do not think this is a worrisome phenomenon. I would caution you however to limit any excessive intake of any type of substance including caffeine as well as nicotine. Alcohol is also included in this concern.

I would like to suggest that you consider slowly tempering your daily intake of any of the substances. It is my firm belief that over time you will see a gradual resolution of the symptoms of the gagging what you have reported.
I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you have found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert