GERD,irritable bowel,burning hands,itchiness,blood vessel spots,reynaud's syndrome

I'm feeling really down about my future. I recently found out I had nucleolar pattern XXXXXXX (1:320). I think I've had XXXXXXX all my life, though usually they are 1:160. I'm a 30-year-old woman now.

My symptoms are:
Reynaud's (for 4-5 years now, on and off)
Puffy hands on and off
Sore tendons on and off
Burning hands and feet -- sometimes feels very hot
All over itchiness on and off, started with pregnancy though no liver probs
GERD and irritable bowel (clinically diagnosed)
Mild hypothyroidism
Occasinal red blood vessel spots on arms

My mother has Reynaud's and so does my aunt. It doesn't bother them too much. One aunt might have Sjorgen's, but she is mainly affected by Crohn's. All other relatives healthy.

I read about systemic scleroderma. Now I feel like I'm destined to get that and be very sick with it.

What should I do/think? I'm currently pregnant and am worried I won't have healthy time to spend with my child. Or at least not many years left.
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Jadhav 9 minutes later

With the current questions and thoughts in your mind your XXXXXXX of attaining motherhood is bypassed.

I strictly recommend you to keep the mind at ease and drive away the unsubstantial thoughts about Rheumatological problems that are an incident in your family.

Most confirmed patients do not have any relatives with scleroderma and their children do not get scleroderma.

Research indicates that there is a susceptibility gene which raises the likelihood of getting scleroderma, but by itself does not cause the disease. Although scleroderma is not directly inherited, some scientists feel there is a slightest predisposition to it in families with a history of rheumatic diseases and this might have raised worries in your mind.
XXXXXXX positivity is not the right indicator to start worrying about Systemic Sclerosis. There are several entities a physician looks into before labeling this. It is very early for you to think about any this even when the other Rheumatological diseases are not evident clinically in your immediate family.

It takes several years to clinically manifest the disease after a risk factor is found. Let me tell you one thing, scleroderma is not infectious, it does not kill one, a milder form than many devastating diseases.

A thing which will not kill you should make you stronger as per the natural evolution.
At this time, while you are pregnant, I shall support you and try to increase your emotional levels rather than make you worry about a thing which is not within you.

Hope i have answered your query. I will be available for follow up.
Follow-up: GERD,irritable bowel,burning hands,itchiness,blood vessel spots,reynaud's syndrome 1 hour later
Thank you dr. XXXXXXX
I'm trying not to worry :(

I am mainly worried because of the nucleolar antibody pattern that is linked to scleroderma -- also i have reynaud's and a couple small broken capillaries by my fingernail bed. So i heard all these signs means scleroderma will develop. Is this true?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Jadhav 5 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

You may have got diagnosed as Raynaud's phenomenon and have such similar symptoms. This is a symptom which can progress further. In general Raynaud's phenomenon may precede systemic sclerosis features by months or even years. Symptoms may last longer than 2 years. If this occurs without the development of characteristic connective-tissue diseases, a benign primary Raynaud's phenomenon is generally indicated, with a very good outcome. Only, 5-10% of this population may eventually develop systemic sclerosis.

If this is imminent you cannot stop it. So why a worry, when there is a cure for it and reduce the progression once a diagnosis is made.

The characteristic symptoms of scleroderma(hard skin) is tightening of the skin in the face, with a characteristic beak like facies and paucity of wrinkles. These changes may affect the entire extremities, face, neck, and trunk. Scleroderma is part of bigger entity called Systemic Sclerosis.

After your pregnancy, I advise you to consult a Rheumatologist and get tested with Anti SCL 70, Anticentromere Antibody.

Till then I still suggest to reduce your worries and dream about the life immediately after pregnancy with your cute little one.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you a happy motherhood.