Fussy, bloated, gas, bruised near rib, gasps for breath. Is she lactose intolerant or has colic?

Hi My niece is staying with me and she is 8 weeks old. she has several issues I would appreciate assistance with.
1. she makes a wizing sound when she drinks. sounds like she is gasping for breath.
2. she is fussy, bloated, and really gassy (the gas smells really bad.) Could she be lactose intolerent or have colic either way how do I determain which one she is and help her. fusses alot after meals.
I took her off formula today at 1230 and have only been giving her pedylite to see if it is the formula thats causing the problem is that ok?
3. 4 days ago her father noticed a bruise near her right rib when i got her back yesturday it was light blue but it feels like 2 lumps right next to each other.
Hope you can help me...
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Your niece is just eight weeks old so she must be on her mother's milk or liquid formula diet.

A child so small sometimes does make such sounds while feeding if he/she takes a large gulp of feed which he is not able to ingest. Or it happens when some wind is stuck up in his throat. Solution is that whenever this happens, immediately stop feeding and put her against your shoulder for burping. She will feel relieved.

Bloating and being gassy is also normal up to some extent in such small children as they ingest a lot of air inside while feeding and crying which causes bloating. It will gradually reduce as the child grows up.

The bruise under her right rib might be due to some injury and she needs to be examined to see how much injury is there.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.