Friend has Leukemia and now has Parkinson's disease. Is it safe to have sexual relation with that person?

Question

THIS IS A VERY PERSONAL QUESTION: I AM A LADY IN A REST HOME.. MANY PEOPLE HERE HAVE OR HAVE HAD SERIOUS DISEASES. I HAVE A FRIEND WHO HAS HAD LEUCEMIA. TWICE AND NOW HAS PARKINSONS. IS IT WISE FOR ME TO ACQUIESE TOAN INTIMATE RELATIONSHIP WITH THIS MAN?

Posted Mon, 23 Sep 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it may be ok

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Your concern is understandable.

Parkinsons can sometimes affect sexual function. It can decrease a persons libido , also cause persons with sexual functioning, it can also affect organsms in some persons.

There are some persons , however who may not experience any major changes.

If your partner is currently in remission of his leukemia and the parkinsons is not affecting his sexual function then it is ok to be intimate.

If he is not in remission or is currently receiving treatment for leukemia then it would be best to refrain for any serious intimacy at the moment.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any additional questions