Frank blood while passing stools, dark red in color, no pain, headaches. What are the causes and solutions for this?

There is blood in the stool. The blood is dark red, not pink, no pain and did experience a little lite headedness this morning.
Just want to be able to go through T'day before heading to the doctor.
What can I do?
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 54 minutes later

XXXXXXX blood in the stool is a common presentation of conditions involving lesions or injuries in the terminal part of the colon or in the rectum.

Commonest cause being hemmhoroids , fissures , ulcers or polyps.The exact cause can be made out after a per rectal digital examination or with a Proctoscope.

I suggest you to consult a proctologist and get examined to know the exact cause for the same.

Meanwhile avoid consuming hard foods and straining at stool , do consume laxatives with advice by your treating doctor which will ensure easy emptying of the rectum causing less or no bleed.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.