Found lump on side of thigh with bruise and tender to touch. What could be causing this?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I fell on my motorcycle three weeks ago, landed on the side of my thigh (around hip). It became swollen, then bruised pretty badly (as could be expected) - the bruising is now gone, but I still have a lump the size of a grapefruit - it is tender in spots, and sometimes swells/throbs.
Posted Thu, 6 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later

Thanks for posting your query. I have gone through your attached picture.

This lump present on side of thigh with bruise could be due to haematoma (collection of blood) which is getting organised (which means fibrous tissue is growing into it to help it heal).

This usually happens when there is XXXXXXX significant injury to the soft tissue. Normally it takes few weeks to about a month to disappear.

I advice you to apply hot fomentation over lump; and if they fail to decrease in pain or size over time, you should visit a doctor to check them out.

Hope I was able to address your concern. Let me know if you need any more help.

Wish you a speedy recover....