Foul smell in blood during periods. What does this indicate?

Nephrologist
Question
What does it means when my blood stinks when I am on my period?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 33 minutes later
Hello

Thanks for the query

1. If your blood has been recently smelling foul or different from the usual period then it is possible that you are suffering an infection of the reproductive tract. This entity is called pelvic inflammatory disease and it is important that this should be ruled out with a physical examination and other tests.
2. The second possibility is using tampons which prevents blood from draining instantly leading to bacterial growth and causing a foul odour.

3. If the smell continues even after your period, then it is likely that you are suffering from bacterial vaginosis or other infections of the lower reproductive tract.

I recommend you to XXXXXXX your gynaecologist for a physical exam and to start antibiotics if there are any signs of infection

You could also use these tips

1. Use pads instead of tampons
2. Use condoms while having sexual intercourse until you XXXXXXX the doctor

I hope I have answered your query. If there are no follow up queries kindly accept my answer

I wish you good health

Follow-up: Foul smell in blood during periods. What does this indicate? 10 hours later
I had a pap smear done last year and my tests came back normal. What else could there be that is causing this ordor?

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 9 hours later
Thanks for the reply

Pap smear is done to rule out cervical cancer. It is not the diagnostic test to do for the current problem

I have already listed out the possible causes for the odor they are:

1. Infection of the uterus
2. Infection of the cervix
3. Infection of the vagina
4. Clotted blood because of tampon use

Please follow the advice I have given in my previous reply. You probably need to be put on antibiotics

I hope I have answered to your query, if there are no further queries kindly accept my answer

I wish you good health