Forgot atenolol dosage for some days, has toprol XL available. Advise?

Forgot my antenolol on 5 day trip. On 2nd day now. 25mg. Wife has 100mg toprol XL. Have at fib under control.Not on other BP Med. Suggestion
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 1 hour later
Hi there.

Thank you for posting your question.

Both atenolol and toprol XL are beta-blockers. It would therefore be quite safe and effective for you to take a quarter of your wife's toprol every day to ward off your atrial fibrillation and to go back on atenolol as soon as you return home.

If the toprol is in tablet form then quarter it as best you can If it is capsular form then open the capsule and divide contents into quarters. There is no need to be that persist about this.

I hope this helped you. Thanks again and good luck.