Forgetting things, person. Unable to focus or concentrate on any activity. Cause for concern?

Question

My father in law is around 68 yrs. He is an intelligent man. But from when he retired from his teaching post he hasn't been very active intellectuality. The past year or so he seems to forget a lots of things - subjects he likes, stuff he taught, faces he has seen for over 35 yrs, things discussed recently, he is unable to focus or concentrate on any activity. It has become very obvious to all of us off late. Do we have to worry or take him to a doctor. we are trying to encourage him to read, learn new things, do some brain teasers.

Please advise
Posted Sun, 19 May 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

I understand your concern

I have noted your medical history

Your father in law has a neurological illness called as dementia. There are so many types of dementia and further classification of dementia will depend upon a detailed neurological evaluation. We need to identify the exact cause of this problem.

Please consult a Neurologist

Best wishes

Let me know if I can help you any way

Dr Gopal K Dash, MD, DM
Consultant Neurologist XXXXXXX Hrudaylaya Hospital, Bommabasandra
Bangalore

Follow-up: Forgetting things, person. Unable to focus or concentrate on any activity. Cause for concern? 7 minutes later
Hello Doctor,

Can you please suggest a doctor in Hyderabad, as he stays there.

Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 3 minutes later

Thanks for the feed back

The best place for dementia evaluation in Hyderabad will be NIMS. XXXXXXX Dr Subhas Kaul, HOD neurology and he will guide you.
Convey my regards to Dr Kaul too

Best wishes

Follow-up: Forgetting things, person. Unable to focus or concentrate on any activity. Cause for concern? 9 minutes later
Hello Doctor,

Thank you. We will take him there.

Sorry to bobbard you with questions - Dementia -- Do I have to panic?? Can it be cured or controlled, will it progress?

Thanks for the query and feed back

You do not have to panic. Let the evaluation begin and it largely depends upon the cause. You can see Dr Kaul in Hyderabad. If he wish to come to Bangalore, We will be happy to help you

Best wishes