Foreskin is not easily retractable and does not stay back. What should I do?

Hello Doctor,

Though foreskin on my penis slips back. During intercourse it doesnt stays back. As a result I ejaculate, quickly. At times when I intentionally slip back often during intercourse able to enjoy for a long duration.

What is the remedy in this case.

Thanks & Regards,
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2013 in Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 39 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

The foreskin or prepuce is usually an elastic structure which should normally slide freely over the penis. During childhood, the foreskin may be somewhat difficult to retract or move freely, but during adulthood, as the person starts engaging in sexual intercourse, it should automatically become more elastic and freely retractable.

In your case, since you say that the foreskin is not easily retractable and does not stay back, it implies that there is not enough elasticity. There is also another condition called "frenulum breve", where even if the foreskin is retractable, it doesn't stay back. In this condition the frenulum of the foreskin, i.e. a fold of skin attaching the foreskin to the undersurface of the glans penis is too short.

In such cases, the following remedial measures to increase the elasticity of the foreskin can be tried:

1) Regular stretching exercises, to increase the elasticity.

- Retract the foreskin backwards as much as possible until there is some discomfort - as much as you can tolerate without being in much pain. Hold for 30 seconds, then pull forwards again. Repeat this exercise for 5 minutes. You can do this everyday while taking a bath.

2) Stretching exercises along with the use of a Steroid Ointment (e.g. Betamethasone). The steroid can have an effect of thinning the skin and allowing it to stretch more easily.

3) Minor surgery (preputioplasty or frenuloplasty).

I would advise you to try the first option regularly for 1 or 2 months, and most likely you will see improvement. In case, the improvement is not satisfactory, then you may have to see a sexologist in person - for a detailed assessment and for planning further treatment.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist & Sexologist