For how long is a stretch mark visible?

How long after the dermis layer of skin is damaged will a stretch XXXXXXX be visible?
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

This appearance of stretch marks with damage of dermis is quite rapid in onset and occurs within a few days as soon as dermis is torn. Initially they may be red, but as the redness fades, they may turn white. When there is excessive stretching in the skin, the XXXXXXX actually shows through to the epidermis (top layer of skin).

This is what actually the skin is: Our skin is divided into three layers: the epidermis, dermis and the hypodermis. Stretch marks appear in the dermis of the skin. The dermis is mostly composed of collagen and collagen together with elastin provides the skin with strength and elasticity. Stretching the skin like in pregnancy or losing or gaining weight, over a short period, can cause damage to the collagen and elastin levels and thus compromise the supportive material of the dermis. When this occurs and the stretchy fibres in the dermis tear, it causes stretch marks.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: For how long is a stretch mark visible? 4 hours later
So is it safe to say as long as there is no more rapid weight changes that I could be done developing the stretch marks. They all seemed to come on quickly. And just to make sure I'm understanding correctly just days after the "stretching" has occurred is when it would become visible on the surface. Thank you for your time!
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 15 hours later
Hi again,

Thanks for following me up.

Yes, you got it right.Stretch marks to some extent can be prevented by avoiding sudden weight changes.

For the stretch marks to become visible from the point of initiation may take 3 weeks on an average.

Hope I answered your question completely.

Wishing you good health,