Foot surgery done for a bunion and a hammer toe. Having pain below the navel. Pulled muscle or hernia?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
5 Days ago I had foot surgery for a bunion and a hammer toe. All went well and I am now to stay off my foot for 2 week. I am using crushes with difficulty. Yesterday I start having this localized sharp pain on my left side about 2 inches below the navel.. Feels like bowel pain. Did I just pull a muscle or is it an hernia? Should I go to the hospital?It only hurts when I use the crushes.
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
He and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your querry
It sounds to me like abdomnal wall issue, most probably muscle pulling. While using crushes abdominal muscles are contracted and it might have caused such pain.
Try to cough or contract hard your abdominal muscles, if you experience pain and bulging in this area it might be hernia, but hernia is usually found slightly around the navel.
YOu should rest, use cold compress, and non-stheroid pain killers. It should pass in a few days.

If you experience diarrhea, opstipation, nausea, vomiting fever or bloating then we should consider intraabdominal pathology. In your age diverticulitis or IBD is usually found. So if you notice such symptoms you should visit gastroenterologist.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help"
Follow-up: Foot surgery done for a bunion and a hammer toe. Having pain below the navel. Pulled muscle or hernia? 2 minutes later
Thank you, this does answer my question. Saves me a trip to the hospital!
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 4 minutes later
Dont go to hospital if you dont need to. They will find nothing. It is better to rest at home isnt it. I am glad I was helpful. Wish you good health.