Food taking long time to digest. What can be the cause?

what is the cause when the food take along time to digest or go down ,this also includes drinking liquids it seem to get stuck i have to keep sipping water or do little burps and keep swollowing until it goes down, then again i can eat a meal and i goes down normal but most of the time i get this problem what is the problem?
Posted Thu, 15 Aug 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 29 minutes later
Dear Sir ,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well looking into your problem I see that there is a difficulty in swallowing of both solid and liquid foods . The problem that you are facing is intermittent and not continuous . This is known as dysphagia and there can be many reasons for this.

Just by history I will not be able to pin point one single cause . I advise you to see an ENT specialist for this . First it has to be established whether the dyspahgia is mechanical or neurogenic . A UGI endoscopy should be done urgently to look for any mechanical cause .

Kindly seek medical advise at earliest.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Shruti