Fluttering sensation in the back with pain. What are the possibilities?

i have been having these fluttering sensation in my back around my kidney area and sometimes it does hurt what could it be
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Fluttering sensation in the back along with pain in the lumbar area, points towards four possibilities which should be investigated. These are:

1)     Firstly it can be a muscle strain or muscle twitching which is causing localized pain in the area.

2)     Secondly it is important to rule out any kidney stones which may present as such sharp pain radiating to the back. For this purpose you need to get an ultrasound/ CT (Computerized Tomography) abdomen and kidneys done.

3)     Third possibility is of any twisted ovarian cyst as you have a history of ovarian cysts. An ultrasound of the abdomen/ CT can check the status of ovarian cysts.

4)     Last possibility is of any spinal nerve compression but this should be the last possibility which should be ruled out after kidney stones and ovarian cysts.

Apply warm compresses and take some anti inflammatory pain killer like Acetaminphen (Tylenol). If the symptoms persist then you should get an ultrasound abdomen done to confirm the diagnosis.

Till then, drink lots of water for it does facilitate at least in preventing the formation of new stones. Drinking lots of water helps to flush away the substances that form stones in the kidneys. Also indulge in exercises like skipping and trampolining which might help in flushing out the small stones if any.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.