Fluctuating sugar levels. What is the risk of developing diabetes?

My sugar levelsI normally wake up at 7 am and when I test my sugar level, it reads 7.2mmol/l and 30 minutes on the treadmill sweating really hard, it reads 6.8mmol/l. When I take a rest it drops to btn 3.5-5.5. I don't take any medicine but I take sugar free foods only after I noted that my sugar levels range btn 5.5 to 8.5 whether I fast or not. What could my diabetic risk? Pls advise if I am on the right track of dieting and exercise.
Posted Wed, 4 Jul 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. L K Shankdhar 14 hours later
Thanks for writing in.

I feel there are 2 parts of your question:-
1. What is your risk of diabetes?
2. Should you continue with present diet and exercise?

Regarding the first question, I feel you are diabetic even now since your fasting sugar, before exercise is 7.2 mmol (130 mg%) which should be <100 mg% to be normal and 126 mg% or above to be diabetic.

You may get 2 additional tests to verify your status as diabetic:-
1. Glycosylated Haemoglobin A1c
2. Blood glucose after 2 hours of a glucose drink (75 G)

Regarding comments on your diet and exercise, that should be done after you get your status verified.