Flaky red splotches around mouth and chin. On nystatin. Is it just fungus?

I have had red splotches that are flaky around my mouth and dentist told me it was a fungus and prescribed Nystatin twice a day. It's been about a month and still have it.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
From your description, it seems that you are having a fungal infection around the mouth or a skin related disorder like eczema or atopic dermatitis.
A direct examination by a dermatologist is the only way to confirm the diagnosis.
There is a topical antibiotic cream which might also provide benefits. This is referred to as mupirocin. This is a very good topical antibiotic that can be safely used on the face. You can use it in combination with 1% hydrocortisone ointment for relief.
In case the rashes are persistent then consulting a dermatologist for stronger prescription medicines will be helpful.
In the meantime, I recommend you to use general cleanliness measures to avoid any infection in that area. Avoid scratching or handling the region with barefingers.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.