Fingernail beds are bumpy, horizontal bumps. What is this?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I just notice that my fingernail beds are bumpy. The bumps are horizontal. What does this mean?
Posted Thu, 31 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 2 hours later

If the bumps are horizontal and near the origin of the nail then it could be clubbing of the nails (obliteration of the angle between the nail and nail bed /rounding of the nails horizontally).

- Do these bumps project on either side of the fingers?
- Do you have any other symptoms suggestive of dysfunction of the digestive, respiratory or cardiovascular system?

If you are asymptomatic then you need not worry.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need any further clarifications.

With Regards
Follow-up: Fingernail beds are bumpy, horizontal bumps. What is this? 1 hour later
The only thing I can think of is that I have had a lot of bloating and gas problems lately. the bumps do not extend to the sides of the fingers. It's basically one bump (ridge) on 3 of my fingers.
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 14 hours later
Hi and thanks again,

1. If the swellings do not extend laterally, then that rules out any sort of arthritis.

2. Bloating and gas problems will not cause clubbing.

3. If it is one bump only on three fingers without associated pain, then it is not pathological. Infection needs to be ruled out if you develop pain, skin discoloration or any other focal symptoms.

4. The bottom line is I don't think there is any reason for worry.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Wish you good health.

With regards