Fibroadenoma, large lump, breast tumors, surgical removal, laser ablation

Hello Doctor,

I am taking treatment for fibroadenoma from Dr Batra's for the past 1 and healf years and i see no improvements. The size of the lump is still the same. I am not sure if my body is responding to the treatment. I want to know if i will be cured and there will be no signs of lump.I am 29 ys old female and i am unmarried.

Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 20 minutes later

Fibroadenomas are benign(non cancerous) tumors of the breast seen in young women that are made of glandular and fibrous breast tissue.

Treatment of fibroadenoma depends on the size and symptoms.

If the lump is small in size and painless, causing no discomfort, remains of the same size, it may be left un treated as it is expected to regress spontaneously . One may only need serial follow ups with ultrasound.

However, if it is more than 3 cms in size ,painful,growing in size, surgical removal by lumpectomy(excision) is an option.Cryoablation or laser ablation are the other procedures, you may discuss this with a General Surgeon and choose the best method for you. Surgery is a definitive treatment and is considered curative.Soon after removal of the lump , through excisional biopsy,the tissues will be examined for any changes of malignancy(very rare).After removal , there wont be any signs of lump.

Serial follow ups for every 6 months is recommended later on.

Hope I answered your query,I am available for follow ups as well.

Follow-up: Fibroadenoma, large lump, breast tumors, surgical removal, laser ablation 1 hour later
Thanks for your reply!!

The size of the lump is around 3.5 cms (the biggest one). There are few more which are less than 1 cm. It is not causing me any discomfort. There is no pain as well. I have heard few saying that it is not advisable to keep the lump for many years. It should be removed. Can i have your suggestion please..

Should i continue my treatment with Dr. Batra's for the same. I am not sure whether is it because of the medicines that the size of the lump is not increasing. Will the treatment remove the lump?
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 1 hour later

I am still not sure if the fibroadenoma of breast is a Surgeon / Pathologist's diagnosis. Is it diagnosed by your Homeopathic physician? If yes,I would suggest you see a General Surgeon for the investigation and treatment.

Fibroadenoma of Breast though common at your age, the standard diagnosis is by incision biopsy(FNAC). By doing an external examination and palpation of the lump, we cannot come to a definitive diagnosis.

Since you have taken Homeopathy medicines, I am uncertain regarding the scientific underpinings of the homeopathic approach.

Wish you good health.