Fever, nausea, stomach pain and stool mixed with blood. Could this be amoebiasis infection?
User rating for this question
Related to the previous question about using combination therapy of Metronidazole and Cotrimoxazole. Here is the case : a 13 years old boy complaining about having fever 38,5-39 C and nausea for the first day then reduce by the 2nd day but stomach pain and Äiarrhoe mix with bood (picture attached) start to occured about 10 times. Do you agree this due to an amoebiasis infection. ? what is your opinion. and what is the best. management ? Dr. XXXXXXX XXXX. I am a GP.
Posted Tue, 26 Nov 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 1 hour later
Brief Answer: hospitalise, monitoring, hydration & management Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing in to XXXXXXX I have read the history and seen the attached photo showing stool mixed with blood. Producing 10 blood mixed stool is a serious issue particularly with high grade fever and pain abdomen. It can be anything a bacillary dysentry, amoebiasis, ischemic insult to bowel to name a few. Ideally the child muat be hospitalised and managed. Today's pathogenic bacilli are resistent cotrimoxazole so better not to go for it. I would advise to treat the child inpatient basis. Monitor vitals, urine output hourly, ensure hydration and temperature control. Gie curd based and sweetened rice diet if he can take orally. I would advise ro send Complete blood counts, renal function tests and cultures of blood and stool. Also get stool microscopic examination for amoebiasis. The investigations should be sent before starting the antibiotics. Delay in treatment may lead to big complications. The antibiotics metronidazole plus levofloxacin/ceftriaxone in appropeiate doses all IV are need of the hour. I hope the advise will be helpful for you.
People also viewed
- Yellow fever in newly born babies causes
- Headache fever nausea vomiting and stomach pains
- Is it normal to get blood stain in pregnancy
- Headache fever nausea vomiting stomach pains and spotting
- 7 month baby eat fish bone
- Stomach pain low grade fever nausea bloating
- Baby born with no brain function
- Can i get ovulation without taking of hcg injection
- Blood in sputum baby
- Stomach pain nausea dizziness fever
- Can intake of 6g expired ibuprofen effect fetus
- Neck care for new born baby
- Headache fever nausea stomach pains and body aches
- Clear substance discharge in 35 weeks of pregnancy
- Can i be pregnant at the age of 30