Fever, nausea, stomach pain and stool mixed with blood. Could this be amoebiasis infection?
User rating for this question
Related to the previous question about using combination therapy of Metronidazole and Cotrimoxazole. Here is the case : a 13 years old boy complaining about having fever 38,5-39 C and nausea for the first day then reduce by the 2nd day but stomach pain and Äiarrhoe mix with bood (picture attached) start to occured about 10 times. Do you agree this due to an amoebiasis infection. ? what is your opinion. and what is the best. management ? Dr. XXXXXXX XXXX. I am a GP.
Posted Tue, 26 Nov 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 1 hour later
Brief Answer: hospitalise, monitoring, hydration & management Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing in to XXXXXXX I have read the history and seen the attached photo showing stool mixed with blood. Producing 10 blood mixed stool is a serious issue particularly with high grade fever and pain abdomen. It can be anything a bacillary dysentry, amoebiasis, ischemic insult to bowel to name a few. Ideally the child muat be hospitalised and managed. Today's pathogenic bacilli are resistent cotrimoxazole so better not to go for it. I would advise to treat the child inpatient basis. Monitor vitals, urine output hourly, ensure hydration and temperature control. Gie curd based and sweetened rice diet if he can take orally. I would advise ro send Complete blood counts, renal function tests and cultures of blood and stool. Also get stool microscopic examination for amoebiasis. The investigations should be sent before starting the antibiotics. Delay in treatment may lead to big complications. The antibiotics metronidazole plus levofloxacin/ceftriaxone in appropeiate doses all IV are need of the hour. I hope the advise will be helpful for you.
People also viewed
- Conceiving day after ovulation
- Motion sickness and tingly arms
- Clear discharge could i be pregnant
- Can you use cepacol while pregnant
- White mottled spots on arms
- Causes of pelvic pressure when 33 weeks pregnant
- Stomach pain nausea dizziness fever
- Weakness in arms migraines
- Pains in arms and legs veins popping
- Stinging pain when move arm with nexplanon
- Fever stomach pain green stool
- Stomach pain fever black stool
- Stomach pain normal stools no fever or nausea taking ganaton
- Stomach pain nausea fever normal stools urine torsion cyst
- Citric acid or ascorbic acid