Fever, muscle pain, joint ache, itching, no redness, bites or hives. Had flu shot. No detergent change. Any ideas?

I'm a 46 yo healthy woman. Yesterday I began running a fever 101.2 with muscle/joint aching and I have mild to moderate itching all over. NO redness, bites, hives--nothing. I had a flu shot 3 weeks ago. No changes in detergent, etc.

Any ideas???
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 34 minutes later

Everything you describe here sounds like a benign type of viral syndrome. Viruses in the environment are common and when we are exposed to them they can sometimes trigger a constellation of symptoms including fever, fatigue, muscle and joint pains and sometimes a rash with or without itching.

These types of viral syndromes typically last from as little as 3 days up to sometimes 4 to 6 weeks. I would advise that you support your body with good hydration, adequate sleep, a well-balanced diet and a moderate exercise regimen. Exercise is actually good for the immune system which is why I suggest it here. In addition you can supplement your diet with some Vitamin C - 1000 mg daily and consider drinking some immune boost type of tea such as Echinacea which is readily available at most supermarkets. You can take acetaminophen every 4 hourly to treat fever and apply aloe vera gel on the itchy areas for symptomatic relief.

I expect your symptoms to gradually level off and improve over the next week or two. In the event that this does not occur, I suggest you visit with your primary physician for a complete physical exam and possibly some blood work as well. In the meantime, try not to worry about this and focus on maintaining good health as I have recommended with diet, fluid intake and exercise as well as adequate sleep (7-9 hours per night).

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.