Fever, headache, fatigue, body ache, stress. Taking ibuprofen. Blood test and urine test clear. What is the problem?

I'm a 34 year old female, 5'7" and about 174 pounds. I am in good health - but after coming back from a week in Belize, I started having flu symptoms the next night (last Monday). I sweat through my clothes and sheet and went to the doctor the next morning. My fever was at 102, so I was told to rest, take Ibuprofen and also prescribed a heavy duty anti-biotic Augmentin / 875 for 10 days. I did have a couple bites on my right arm that were getting infected, but they have since improved by using a topical steroid cream (Clotrimazole and Betamenthasone). The doctor also ran blood tests (to check white blood cell count) and urine along with a chest x-ray to rule out pneumonia. Everything came back clear. I started to feel better by Friday, temp was normal, but then went back up over the weekend. The last few days my fever started at 100.8 first thing when I wake up, and then after taking ibuprofen went down to a normal level. I keep taking the IB every 4 hours and it seems to keep it at bay. Other than a headache and a little bit of body aches, I feel fine other than the fatigue. I have also been under an extreme amount of stress, so I'm wondering if that has contributed to the problem. I'm just getting concerned because I've now had this fever and fatigue for about 8 days. I've never had a fever that lasted that long. I did get shots for Hep A, & Hep B, and also took Typhoid Fever pills a month before leaving. No malaria vaccine was required due to the area in Belize I was visiting. I've done a lot of research online, but still can't seem to figure out what the problem is. Was supposed to see the doctor again today to check the bites and run more tests, but had to reschedule for tomorrow. Just wanted to see if there was anything I could do to recover. Thanks!!
Posted Mon, 17 Sep 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 33 minutes later
This kind of fever sounds typically like a malarial/dengue fever.You need to get a complete blood count,peripheral smear for malarial antigen,dual antigen,dengue IgM,IgG,widal test and a urine culture. Belize also reuqires a Meanwhile keep taking the drugs to are taking.If malaria is detected,then specific meds need to be taken.Paracetamol and painkillers will help.